RIPE Dance offers specially designed dance classes and experiences for a range of older people for improved health, mobility and wellbeing. Whether you are physically active and agile or living with mobility issues or physical restrictions, participants can experience the joy and benefits of dance in a fun, safe, supportive and welcoming environment.
RIPE Dance classes are about possibilities not limitations. Even if you think you can’t dance, have two left feet or you’ve lost the confidence to dance, RIPE Dance works with you to find ways you can dance.
RIPE Dance Director, Gail Hewton, brings over 40 years of varied professional dance experience (dancer, choreographer, educator, producer and community practitioner). Gail’s practice is underpinned by a relational approach and whilst focused first and foremost on dancing her work also addresses health and wellbeing with a particular focus on falls prevention and social connectedness.
Evidence from a growing body of research shows that dance for older people provides physical, mental, emotional and social benefits. Participants leave class feeling energised and uplifted, ‘my muscles are less stiff’, ‘without the headache I came with’ and over time see improvements in their balance, coordination, flexibility, confidence and mood as well as development of new friendships.
Dance…Really Is Possible for Everyone! …so let’s Dance!
RIPE Dance offers a range of classes and dance experiences for:
- Active and agile over 60s – including ballet and jazz/contemporary classes as well as performance opportunities
- Active over 60s – those who are mobile with less agility (not able to move quickly)
- Older adults with mobility issues who live independently
- Aged care residents including those with mobility issues and/or dementia
RIPE Dance also offers professional development, mentoring and training for:
- dance and allied health practitioners (physios, OTs & fitness instructors), residential care staff and activity leaders interested in leading dance for older people.
Benefits of Dance
Dance offers a range of physical, cognitive, emotional and social benefits. Read more…