PLEASE NOTE re COVID-19 : We will be following any directives issued by Queensland Health as well as guided by the dance industry’s Return to Dance Principles and Framework for Restarting Dance Activities Post COVID-19. Appropriate protocols and procedures will be implemented to ensure the health and safety of all RIPE Dance participants and our broader community.
Yes, You Can Dance! – dance for mobility & wellbeing
These fun classes are for people with mobility restrictions and issues due to aspects of ageing such as a result of arthritis, osteoporosis, reduced joint mobility or less muscle strength and flexibility, etc. or from illness, surgery, or health conditions such as Parkinson’s, MS, Stroke, post Polio, and other neurological conditions. The carefully planned classes are fun, social and beneficial for physical health, brain stimulation and overall wellbeing.
Enjoy a variety of dance styles and flavours to a broad range of music. This class is about possibilities not limitations with options to dance seated, standing, holding on to something, behind a chair, using a walker or cane – the emphasis is on what you can do not what you can’t.
Whilst focused first and foremost on dancing classes also address concerns such as balance, flexibility, coordination, mobility, confidence, brain stimulation, social isolation, and general quality of life in a fun, safe and supportive environment.
Times & Locations
Tuesdays 11.30am-12.45pm – Masonic Hall, Moorindil St, Tewantin – PLACES STILL AVAILABLE
Fridays 2.00pm-3.15pm – The Forum, Laguna Retirement Village, 13-21 Lake Weyba Dr, Noosaville (take the 2nd Village entrance off Lake Weyba Dr) – THIS CLASS IS CURRENTLY AT FULL CAPACITY, please call to seek availability
COST: Casual $13 per class, pensioner concession $11 per class. If you do Tuesday and Friday class in the same week the second class is $10
2021 Term 1 Dates
TUESDAY classes – 2 Feb to 30 March (9 week term)
FRIDAY classes – 29 Jan to 26 March (9 week term)
To register or for more information contact Gail Hewton Mob: 0411 720 391 or email@example.com
General Information about all classes
While classes are held on a term basis you can start anytime – please phone or email Gail to register and discuss your needs. Class participants are very friendly and welcoming.
What to wear:
- gym/aerobic wear or comfortable clothing you can move freely in – ladies please wear long pants rather than skirts for modesty when doing seated exercises
- jazz/ballet shoes or soft pliable shoes or cotton socks with non-slip grips – preferably not cumbersome runners (speak to Gail about your needs).
Please ensure you:
- arrive on time – at least 5-10 mins prior to class to pay and to be ready to start on time and not miss warm up (warm up is an essential component of safe dance and injury prevention) – arriving on time is also good dance etiquette
- let me know of any health problems or injuries – especially any changes that may have occurred between classes
- pace yourself, especially for the first month when you start, and always work within your own abilities – pay attention to your own body, don’t do anything that causes pain or discomfort and if it does let me know immediately
- let me know any particular music you would like to suggest for class, or any dance ideas you would like included, etc
- most importantly, have fun!!!