Yes, You Can Dance! – dance for mobility & wellbeing
These fun classes are for people with mobility restrictions and issues due to aspects of ageing such as a result of arthritis, osteoporosis, reduced joint mobility or less muscle strength and flexibility, etc. or from illness, surgery, or health conditions such as Parkinson’s, MS, Stroke, post Polio, and other neurological conditions. The carefully planned classes are fun, social and beneficial for physical health, brain stimulation and overall wellbeing.
Enjoy a variety of dance styles and flavours to a broad range of music. This class is about possibilities not limitations with options to dance seated, standing, holding on to something, behind a chair, using a walker or cane – the emphasis is on what you can do not what you can’t.
Whilst focused first and foremost on dancing classes also address concerns such as balance, flexibility, coordination, mobility, confidence, brain stimulation, social isolation, and general quality of life in a fun, safe and supportive environment.
Times & Locations
Tuesdays 11.30am-12.45pm – Masonic Hall, Moorindil St, Tewantin
Fridays 2.00pm-3.15pm – The Forum, Laguna Retirement Village, 13-21 Lake Weyba Dr, Noosaville (take the 2nd Village entrance off Lake Weyba Dr)
COST: Casual $13 per class, pensioner concession $11 per class. If you do Tuesday and Friday class in the same week the second class is $10
2019 Term Dates – TUESDAY classes
- Term 1 – 29 January to 2 April – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 2 – 23 April to 25 June – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 3 – 16 July to 17 Sept – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 4 – 8 October to 10 December – 10 weeks
2019 Term Dates – FRIDAY classes
- Term 1 – 1 February to 5 April – 10 weeks followed by 1 week break
- Term 2 – 26 April to 28 June – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 3 – 19 July to 20 Sept – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 4 – 8 October to 13 December – 10 weeks
To register or for more information contact Gail Hewton Mob: 0411 720 391 or email@example.com
General Information about all classes
While classes are held on a term basis you can start anytime – please phone or email Gail to register and discuss your needs. Class participants are very friendly and welcoming.
What to wear:
- gym/aerobic wear or comfortable clothing you can move freely in – ladies please wear long pants rather than skirts for modesty when doing seated exercises
- jazz/ballet shoes or soft pliable shoes or cotton socks with non-slip grips – preferably not cumbersome runners (speak to Gail about your needs).
Please ensure you:
- arrive on time – at least 5-10 mins prior to class to pay and to be ready to start on time and not miss warm up (warm up is an essential component of safe dance and injury prevention) – arriving on time is also good dance etiquette
- let me know of any health problems or injuries – especially any changes that may have occurred between classes
- pace yourself, especially for the first month when you start, and always work within your own abilities – pay attention to your own body, don’t do anything that causes pain or discomfort and if it does let me know immediately
- let me know any particular music you would like to suggest for class, or any dance ideas you would like included, etc
- most importantly, have fun!!!