Ballet and Jazz/Contemporary Dance classes for active & agile over 55s:
Jazz/Contemporary Dance – there are 2 levels: basic and level 1. These classes are for active and agile over 60’s who love moving and grooving to a variety of music. Learn a diversity of sequences and mini routines in a range of dance styles and flavours such as Broadway, Contemporary, Latin, Bollywood and Musical Theatre. There’s a class for beginners and one for those who have some dance experience. Join Gail Hewton who has 40 years professional dance experience in this specially designed class for adults and seniors to exercise your brain and give you strength, balance, mobility, fitness and wellbeing in a fun, safe and supportive environment. Feel energised, uplifted and more alive!
Basic Ballet – This class is for those who have some experience and are a bit rusty and need a reintroduction at an appropriate pace and level. It’s a good place to start back if you did ballet as a child. It provides a basic foundation of ballet technique, posture, balance, core strength and mobility through elegant, flowing movement to wonderful music. Learn (or relearn) the basics of ballet with barre exercises and centre work – and along the way learn a little bit of French as well!
Times & Locations
Basic Ballet – Tuesdays 8.30am-9.45am at Masonic Hall, Moorindil St, Tewantin – NOTE: this class is currently FULL, please enquire re waiting list
Basic Jazz/Contemporary – Tuesdays 10.00am-11.15am at Masonic Hall, Moorindil St, Tewantin
Level 1 Jazz/Contemporary – Fridays 11.30am-12.45pm at Noosa Leisure Centre, Wallace Dr, Noosaville NOTE: this class is currently FULL, please enquire re waiting list
CLASS COST: casual $15/class, $130 for term (10 classes) – NOTE: If you attend both Ballet & Basic Jazz on Tuesday cost is casual $25 for both or $220 for term of (20 classes).
2019 Term Dates – TUESDAY classes
- Term 1 – 29 January to 2 April – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 2 – 23 April to 25 June – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 3 – 16 July to 17 Sept – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 4 – 8 October to 10 December – 10 weeks
2019 Term Dates – FRIDAY classes
- Term 1 – 1 February to 5 April – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 2 – 26 April to 28 June – 10 weeks followed by 2 week break
- Term 3 – 19 July to 20 Sept – 9 weeks followed by 2 week break – No class at NLC on 6 Sept due to show day holiday
- Term 4 – 8 October to 13 December – 10 weeks
To register or for more information contact Gail Hewton Mob: 0411 720 391 or email@example.com
General Information about all classes
While classes are held on a Term basis you can join anytime, please phone or email Gail first to register and discuss your needs. Class participants are very friendly and welcoming.
What to wear
- wear gym gear or comfortable clothing you can move freely in; and
- jazz/ballet shoes or soft pliable shoes or cotton socks with non-slip grips – not cumbersome runners.
Please ensure you:
- arrive on time – at least 5-10 mins prior to class to pay and to be ready to start on time and not miss warm up (warm up is an essential component of safe dance and injury prevention) – arriving on time is also good dance etiquette
- let me know of any health problems or injuries – especially any changes that may have occurred between classes
- pace yourself, especially for the first month when you start, and always work within your own abilities – pay attention to your own body, don’t do anything that causes pain or discomfort and if it does let me know immediately
- let me know any particular music you would like to suggest for class, or any dance ideas you would like included, etc
- most importantly, have fun!!!